Saturday, July 3, 2010

Slow But Sure Wins The Race!

When installing the mechanics you don't see the progress happen as much as when you are sculpting something. This part takes time and patience. You want all things to line up so the mechanics move smoothly and without binding or making noise!


The eyebrows, eyes and mouth have been installed. I added the tongue to the mouth, however it will not be a stick out tongue. The eyes are covered with wax paper so that paint will not touch the eye itself when I paint the head. When the paint dries, the wax paper is easily removed.





Here you can see the installation of the mechanics. This is as far as I can go until the control post in fastened in place.














.
The control post is made from 1 1/4 inch dowel and has been notched to accept 1/8" brass hardware. the deep cut is for the side to side moving eyes and the shallower one is for the raising eyebrows


The circle drawn on the post will be drilled for the mouth string to travel down to the control lever.


Here is how the brass tubes will look when installed. Well, back to the workshop to try and finish the mechanics and get ready for a final sanding and then to begin painting!










2 comments:

  1. I would like to compliment you on your amazing work and thank you for sharing the photos. I am a beginning figure maker myself and need all the help I can get. You can see My JJ figure made out of paper mache on my face book page. What kind of springs do you use and where might I obtain some? What is your eye tray made of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, Most of the spring you will need can be found at Home Depot or lowes. You want a light tension easy to pull spring. The base which the eyes set on is a ply wood you can find at your local hobby shop. I use between 3/16 and 1/4 inch thick ply. Hope this helps.

    Best Regards,

    Mike Palma

    ReplyDelete